Nguyen Huu Canh Temple
In 1968, Nguyen Phuc Chi Lord appointed Nguyen Huu Canh as Vicetory of Dong Nai region. He named: “Gia Dinh Prefect” with Tran Bien as chielf town. “Gia Dinh Prefect” had two districts: Phuoc Long and Gia Dinh, divided into wards, villages, hamlets. He established inhabitant registers and land registers, recruited people who emigrated from Ngu Quang to Dong Nai.
In 1699, Nguyen Huu Canh guided a great dominant military to firm in the south border. After completing the mission, in April the year Canh Thin (1700), Nguyen Huu Canh came bacj Binh Khuong (Ninh Thuan – Khanh Hoa today). On the way back to Rach Gam (Tien Giang), he was sick and died on 9/5 AL at 51 years old.
After his death, his coffin was moved to his hometown anf stopped for awhile at Pho island. The citizens honored him so they built a fake tomb and has been workshippng him a Spirit-being of the village.
Nguyen Huu Canh Temple was ranked as national historical – cultural relic by Ministry of Culture and Sports (now Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism). By Nguyen Huu Canh Temple, visitors can admire his clothes which has been preserving over 300 years and awarded by the King.
Next to Nguyen Huu Canh temple about 5 minutes wilk is the earliest Chinese Pagoda in the South (around 1964), associated with migrant communities who followed Mr. Tran Thuong Xuyen settled down in Nong Nai Dai Pho in 1679. Previously, pagoda’s name was Quan De Temple, today its name is That Phu Ancient Temple (Ancient Temple of the seven states of the Chinese: Phuoc Chau, Zhangzhou, Quynh Chau, Quanzhou, Chaozhou. Guangzhou and Ninh Ba), local people call Ong Pagoda.
Chua Ong has a square shape. Its facede is ornate with numerous blue-ceramic statuettes made by ceramcis in Cay Mai (Cho Lon) representing scenes of classical theater and count drama, the statues of the Sun and the Moon. In addition, the stone artifacts on the pagoda facade make by stoned workers in Buu Long create an art style proper to Chinese emigrants on the Bien Hoa territory. The pagoda was restored many times on the principle of preservation available to keep original shape, typical architecture of the temple has existed for over 300 years in Bien Hoa – Dong Nai.
Being a pagoda with a fairy original architecture, Chua Ong is visited by many tourists coming from nearby and remote places to visit, study, workship and pray for wealth.
Dai Giac Pagoda
It is also known as the Largest Buddha Pagoda, 1km from Bien Hoa city and 30 km from HCM city.
Acorrding to the documents, in the middle of XVII century, there were 3 monks to Dong Nai spreading of Buddhism. Thanh Nhac monkbuilt Long Thien Pagoda (1664); Thanh Tri Monk went to Buu Long established Buu Phong Pagoda (1679); Thanh Dang monk – one of the disciples of Master Nguyen Thieu (Cantonese-Chinese origin) founder of the Lam Te sect in Canton, China and a group of people sailed to Pho Island and built Dai Giac pagoda in 1665.
There are many interesting stories at this pagoda. In 1779, the third princess of King Gia Long, Nguyen Thi Ngoc Anh fled from the Tay Son pursuit, took refuge in this pagoda for sometimes. After that, King Gia Long paid his hounor by donating a 2.25m wooden Buddhist’s statue. For this reason, the citizens also call it ” Big Buddha Pagoda”.
Under King Minh Mang, Pagoda was repaired continiously. Princess Nguyen Thi Ngoc Anh presented the Pagoda with a big panel bearing three Chinesecharacters “Dai Giac Tu” hung in front of the main chamber.
Long Thien Pagoda
It takes only 10 minutes drive form Phong Son poterry, visitors will come to Long Thien pagoda in Buu Hoa ward, bBien Hoa city built by THanh Nhat monk (1664) on large populated areas residence, the right bank of Dong Nai.
Befire the pagoda is the Dong Nai River, behind a moutain Chau Thoi errect like adragon’s tail. Across the river the moutain Long An, Buu Phong (Binh Dien). With construction dating back quite soon Long Thien pagoda is considered as cradle of Buddhist centers to first in the South region and demonstrate the presnece of the Vietnamese people in Dong Nai century XV – XVII.
Buu Phong Pagoda
It is one of three ancient temples of Bien Hoa. Today, the temple is situated on a Buu Long moutain – are considered landmarks of ancient Tran Bien land, now belong to Tan Buu commune, Bien Hoa city, Dong Nai province, near Buu Long Center for culture and tourism. The pagoda was built in thr seventeenth century. It was built in 1679, in the shape of “triangle” including the mail hall, auditorium, altar, there are also plenty of room for nuns and monk nursing home.
Tan Lan Temple
It is said that, at begining Tan Lan Temple was a small shrine which was built by villagers at Thanh Ken unfer the reign of King Minh Mang in honor General Tran Thuong Xuyen – Tran Bien gorvernor. He haf the great merit in the breaking fresh ground and developing Dong Nai- Gia Dinh region. After two times moving, this temple is located at its present site.
The architectures has influenced of Chinese Culture. Face is directed toward the south-west. It has three compartments: the front hall. the main hall and hare, left is Ba shrine, right is Ong shrine. It is roofed with “positive-negative tiles” (a line of tiles curved upwards alterning with a line of tiles curved downwards).
The foundation is paved by impressive blue stones. Inside, there are alteasrs, horizonal lacquered broead, parallel scrolls ehich are engraved elaborate and delicate,.. symbolize for the prosperity and hapiness. Every years the death anniversary of Tran Thuong Xuyen is celebrated solemnly according to traditional rites by the population. The Temple is classified as a national – level historical, architecture and art relic.
Tran Bien Temple of Literature
Tran Bien Temple of Literature was established as the “Temple of Literature” of southern part. This is the symbol of the tradition of learning, spirit and culture of the Southern. Temple of Literature is a palce of workship for the typical cultural celebrities of the country and a symbol of national culture. With the works built upon the achitecture of Temple of Literature of Hanoi, including the main churches, buildings of madarins, ceremonial yard and others to show the respections for teachers amd the talented persons.
The Tran Bien Temple of Literature (Dong Nai) is the place where regulary holds the visiting of predecessors, punlic ceremonie and awarding for talents in all fields of Dong Nai.
At present, Tran Bien Temple of Literature is a place for visiting, cultural activities of Dong Nai people and welcoming many delegations of domestics and foreign tourists to visit and learn. On November 22, 2016, Tran Bien Temple of Literature was honored to receive the Certificate of National Historical- cutural vestiges.